Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Death and Dying

Here i am in my middle 80s and yet I am startled and of course very sad when one of my contemporaries dies. This weekend I lost two old buddies that I have known for more than 60 years and more intimately the last 5-6 years than when we were in college. What business did you have , dying like that ? And you did not tell me in advance so that we could reminisce about the good times and the ups and downs of our respective lives. One of them took a bad fall and cracked his head and the subsequent operaration could not save him -- I just can't believe that that ebbulient, lively, optimistic spirit is no long with us.........................we WWII Vets are fast going. I want to hang in there very badly and see my daughters through their problems and my grandchildren strike out on their own. I am not a careful person, but I am trying reform and drive more slowly and walk more carefully and get plenty of sleep. Let's hope that works. I particularly want to get through to the Fall when Ken Burns' 14 hour documentary on WWII - called THE WAR - is on public tv.....................A modest hope and one that I am sure I will fulfill. As sure as one can be about anything in this uncertain life.

No comments: